A fairly common chronic condition that afflicts people is rheumatoid arthritis (RA); a form of chronic joint inflammation that can have major impact on quality of life. The exact cause of rheumatoid arthritis is unknown, but it has a significant autoimmune component. This is how it differs starkly from the much more common osteoarthritis, which is more of a “wear-and-tear” form of arthritis that results from mechanical use of joints over a long and active life. Rheumatoid arthritis not only affects the joints, but also presents with systemic inflammatory symptoms.
11 Oct 18
It is the opinion of the author that vegetarians are not doomed to become protein-deficient just because they have made the switch from an omnivorous diet to a fully plant-based one. Contrary to popular belief, flesh foods are not a necessary source of protein. This is traditionally held belief, and as is the case with many such beliefs, it falls in the realm of myth, not facts.
11 Oct 18
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a condition represented by both reproductive and endocrine symptoms. It currently impacts at least 5–10% of reproductive-age women.
11 Oct 18
Your period is late—really late. You’re not pregnant, and you’re not menopausal. You may have missed one cycle or several. Of course, it’s worrisome: Many women who have missed one or more periods often take several pregnancy tests just to be certain. But the causes of a missed period go well beyond the possibility of pregnancy.
Should Bananas Be Part of a Healthy Diet? Naturopathic Considerations11 Oct 18Bananas are sweet and filling, they can help you recover from strenuous exercise, and they can help eliminate muscle cramps. The amino acid tryptophan, a precursor to serotonin, is found in bananas. Serotonin helps you feel calm, can lighten and regulate your mood, and can lessen your perception of pain. Bananas are a versatile food that can be used to combat both diarrhea and constipation, and act as a natural antacid.
- Endometriosis - Naturopathic Approaches
- Do Whole Grains Cause Diabetes? - A Review of Evidence
- Dealing with Shingles - Naturopathic Approaches
- Before Starting Hormonal Contraceptives - What You Need to Know
- Allergic Rhinitis - Curcumin and Probiotics Can Help
- What Does It Mean to Be Adrenal-Fatigued? - Naturopathic Assessments and Supports
- Vegetarian Diets - Thoughts from an American Blue Zone
- Periodontal Changes in Pregnancy and Oil Pulling - Naturopathic Perspectives
- Magnesium - Many Health Benefits
- Candida Overgrowth Syndrome - Naturopathic Perspectives
- Traveller’s Diarrhea Prevention and Treatment
- The Development of Food Sensitivities - True and False Sensitivities and What to Do About Them
- Low-Level Laser Light Therapy - Potential Uses
- Mindfulness - What Is It, and What Does It Do for You?
- Cell-Phone Use - Five Health Impacts
- Tackling Sugar Cravings
- Mental Health and Thinking Beyond the Brain
- Hypothyroidism: Causes and Management
- Prenatal Genetic Testing and Counselling
- Where to Start with Thyroid Imbalance